The salary range of meteorologists largely depend on the facility and work setting they are employed in.
A meteorologist is a professional who carries out several tasks which relate to the study of the earth’s atmosphere, and how different factors affect the weather conditions. It is uncertain if all weathermen seen on television or heard on the radio are professionals in this domain. There are some presenters who simply read and pass on the data that is received from professional sources.
Meteorologists conduct research on the causes of specific weather conditions from the data received, and the results or predictions derived from the land, sea, and the upper atmosphere. They create or utilize computerized mathematical models, which are meant for conducting short and long-range forecasts regarding weather patterns. The services of these experts are used by entities who deal in air travel and transport, shipping, sailing, sea fishing, armed forces, agro-industries, public services, media, and retail businesses.
Average Pay Range
The average salary varies greatly depending on the employer, area of expertise, educational qualifications, and location of employment. The salary for an inexperienced person ranges from USD 27,000 to USD 50,000 per annum. As with any other profession, the pay scale is likely to increase with experience. After gaining 10 – 20 years of experience in a professional facility, the average pay increases to between USD 51,000 to USD 90,000. Those residing in places which have to deal with adverse or extreme climate changes and conditions are likely to get a higher compensation. Few of them are invited to take lectures in colleges and universities. They may also help graduate students in completing research work. Teaching in colleges and universities may increase their earnings.
Apart from forecasting, meteorologists also conduct extensive research on the effect of the weather on the earth’s environment. These experts study patterns and variations, and provide their predictions accordingly. Forecasting and research are two areas, wherein they have to carry out their obligations.
Responsibilities in Weather Forecasting
- Obtaining information from satellite images, radars, remote sensors, and weather stations all around the globe.
- Furnishing the received data to clients in the form of a briefing.
- Organizing data and evaluating aspects like air pressure, temperature, and humidity at different atmospheric layers.
- Participating in the coding of weather reports for the purpose of transmitting over national and international networks.
- Employing physical and mathematical relationships and advanced electronic models in order to finalize short and long-range estimations.
- Interceding with colleagues and customers from all over the country and the world.
Responsibilities in Research
- Scientifically investigating matters such as the flow of air in the lowest level of the atmosphere, formation of clouds and precipitation, universal change in the climate, and the devising of several mathematical prototypes to make anticipations about atmospheric processes.
- Bettering electronic and computer prototypes for forecasting, which aids in improving accuracy.
- Devising and employing prototypes of the atmosphere, water bodies, and other weather system elements.
- Conducting research on seasonal, ocean, and climate forecasting.
- Keeping record of changes in the stratosphere and ozone layer.
- Utilizing and putting together outcomes of study in order to provide flood warnings, or understanding the effects of global warming.
Apart from the basic duties, they may also be handed over the responsibility of broadcasting weather forecasts over the television or the radio. They can even be asked to make specific forecasts for certain entities; like those dealing in air and sea travel, agriculture, forest fire prevention, air pollution control, etc.
The best job prospects for these professionals is in the private industry, as businesses demand more specialized weather information. As per the Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs are expected to grow by 10% till 2022.