Management jobs are the most coveted ones in the corporate sector. Getting such jobs is the dream of all young graduates. Things can become very easy if a person is clearly aware of the job description. This article will help you know what an assistant manager exactly does…
Management has undergone huge changes over the years, basically because of the increasing competition in the business world. Efficient management has become the need of the hour and hence, assistant managers play a very important role in the functioning of a company. Their job is to assist the manager in his day-to-day duties, supervise employees and report the activities of the day to the manager. They are important professionals in all types of companies.
- To help the lead managers in their duties. Assistant managers are under training for higher level posts in the organization.
- To interact with the clients of the company and understand their needs to improve the quality of the product.
- To contribute in the decision-making and product designing process though they do not take the final decisions.
- To handle customer queries and complaints themselves in case the manager is not available at that time.
- To interact with junior level employees and get the work done from them by giving tips, suggestions and recommendations as told by the senior manager.
- To deposit cash into the firm’s accounts in a retail establishment (like a retail store), ordering inventory and managing it.
- Working as a link between the senior managers and the junior team members.
- Performing activities such as encouraging employees or rewarding ace performers for fast target completion.
If you carry out these duties sincerely and efficiently, you will definitely do very well in this field.
Becoming an assistant manager is not difficult, but you should have the relevant academic qualifications and fulfill the experience requirements. At most places, you can get a job with a bachelor’s degree in fields such as mathematics, accounting, finance, management or science. With a master’s degree in the above fields, you can get jobs in well-known companies. Effective communication and interpersonal skills, ability to work in a team, confidence, problem solving abilities and computer skills are the various qualities you need to become a good assistant manager. Learning programming languages, basic computer handling and accounting software can prove to be extremely handy in this profession.
The salary of an assistant manager largely depends on the educational qualification, skills, number of years of experience, location of job and the kind of employer. People with a master’s degree will naturally fetch a higher salary as compared to those holding a bachelor’s degree. Experience in the form of internships also counts for getting a good salary package. Jobs in top multinational companies in metropolitan cities can help you earn much more as compared to the jobs in smaller cities in relatively small firms.
On the whole, the salary ranges between $35,000 to $70,000 per year. The starting salaries for assistant managers can be around $30,000 to $35,000 per year. Those with an experience of three to five years can comfortably draw anything between $30,000 to $55,000 per year. With more than seven years of experience, the salary can be somewhere between $55,000 to $70,000 per year. On promotion, they become senior managers and earn well above $80,000 per year.
Hopefully, this article helped you answer the question – what does an assistant manager do. You should work hard to be a good manager by taking management subjects in high school itself. A career as a manager is considered to be a high-profile one with attractive salaries and perks, so try your best in this field and secure your career. All the very best!