Structural engineers are one of the most creative and talented professionals in the engineering industry. If you are eager to know about the relevant salary range, this article, will serve as a perfect guide for you.
Engineering jobs have always been one of the most coveted ones in the United States of America. The great salaries, advancement opportunities and stability in the job are some of the reasons why these jobs are one of the most desired ones. However, these jobs need you to have an extensive intellectual capacity and sound educational qualifications to fulfill your responsibilities. Structural engineers are also in great demand in the industry and are being recruited in large numbers to meet the fast growing demand.
- The main responsibility is to create well-planned and cost-effective designs for many and varied structures. These structures can be ships, buildings, underground tunnels or dams
- All these structures constitute a very important part of the infrastructure of a city. Various manufacturing facilities are also designed in a systematic way by them. Thus, in simple words, the job profile revolves around creating infrastructure masterpieces for the overall development of the city
- Along with a regular desk job, structural engineers are also required to be present on location to inspect the construction work and suggest changes and supervise the overall work progress
- They have to work closely with architects, who are regarded as one of the most talented professionals in the real estate and construction industry
- Their job also consists of taking utmost care of the safety of the buildings and other structures being built
Becoming a Structural Engineer
In order to become a structural engineer, you need to have at least a bachelor’s degree in structural engineering or civil engineering from a recognized institute. Getting a master’s degree always helps in grabbing the best jobs in the industry because you get to learn your subjects in detail. Good communication and interpersonal skills, a hard-working nature, the ability to learn new concepts related to work and practical experience are also essential to make a successful career in this field.
Structural Engineer Salary Range
The starting salary or the civil engineer salary largely depends on the school from which they pass out, their experience, qualifications and skills. The location of the job and kind of employer also decides the entry-level salary. As per the data given by job market experts, the starting salary can be in the range of $50,000 to $55,000 per year which is quite good. The average salary, on the other hand is around $57,000 per year. With an experience of seven to ten years, a structural engineer’s salary can be in the range of $55,000 to $72,000 per year. The salaries in places like Washington, California and Texas are believed to be the highest for structural engineers. These engineers can earn $65,000 to $90,000 per year at these places.
This information on the salary and requirements to become a structural engineer will guide you in this career well. Your own efforts and passion for the job will be the key drivers for your progress and advancement in the engineering field. Good luck!