The optometrist salary range has shown a growing trend over the years all over the globe. In this article, we shall acquaint ourselves with the income and job description of an optometrist.
It is a general perception that medical jobs are not very significantly affected by overall economic conditions. The field of eye care, especially, will require trained and experienced personnel. Experts vouch that the salaries in this field will continue to rise steadily. The salary range of an optometrist generally ranges between USD 50,000 to USD 105,000.
- Optometrists play a vital role in improving the vision of people who suffer from ocular diseases and eye problems.
- They take all the necessary pre/post-operative care for patients who are about to undergo eye surgery or have already had an eye surgery.
- Their job profile also involves prescribing contact lenses and glasses, along with medicines for combating infections, diseases, and allergies related to the eye.
- They use advanced instruments for checking the minute details of the eye, i.e., ophthalmoscopes and retinoscopes.
- Most of the professionals are employed in hospitals and clinics. A significant number of them also practice as independent medical professionals.
- The job of an optometrist involves helping the patients enhance and improve their vision by correct diagnosis, treatment, and eye care.
- These professionals receive the ‘Doctor of Optometry’ degree after the successful completion of their medical program.
- They work in different fields, like pediatric optometry, basic or primary optometry care, and geriatric optometry.
- An individual wanting to carve out a career in this field should concentrate on subjects, like Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, English, and computers in their high school.
- After completing a bachelor’s degree in medicine, you can gain admission to a university to study optometry.
- You need to obtain a good score in the Optometry Admission Test (OAT).
- The field requires you to obtain a valid license, which is provided after you clear the exams conducted by whichever state you are practicing in.
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the salary of an optometrist is between the range of USD 50,000 to USD 150,000.
- The data is calculated considering the average working hours.
- The location of service or practice is a decisive factor in the determining the salary.
Salary by Experience
- The median annual salary is around USD 101,000.
- More than 12% of the professionals earn more than USD 150,000 annually.
- At an entry-level, the salary is around USD 55,000 while a majority of the experienced ones earn between USD 60,000 to USD 110,000 annually.
- If we compare the income of the optometrists who work as salaried professionals in hospitals and clinics, with those who set up their own practice, we arrive at the conclusion that the salaried professionals earn more in the initial years. However, independent practitioners are known to earn much more than them once their practice is well established.
Salary by State
- The pay for these medical professionals varies as per the state.
- States, like Hawaii and Idaho have a salary range between USD 50,000 to USD 60,000.
- Ohio, New Jersey, North Carolina, etc., offer a range of USD 80,000 to USD 95,000.
- New York and Connecticut provide a range of more than USD 100,000.
Apart from the basic salaries, these professionals receive attractive bonuses as per their experience and expertise. The income of around eighty percent of the optometrists crosses the USD 85,000 per year mark when the bonus amount is included. They are also entitled to the social security benefits, disability benefits, and pensions, which increase their salary considerably.
Salaries are definitely lucrative for the optometrists. However, a career decision is taken not just by looking at salary and current situation, but also by considering the future outlook for the job. Analysts expect employment to grow between 10 – 20% in the next decade.
This profession has ample opportunities. So, work hard to make the most of the great opportunities in this field and secure your future.